I have now been on vacation long enough that I don’t remember what day it is. I think “if it’s Wednesday it must be San Francisco” logic may apply.
With that in mind, here’s a list of a few things that caught my eye during my little bits of hotel-room surfing after the child goes to bed:
- The Pirate Bay trial, and aftermath, has been keeping me amused for a while. The reveal that the presiding judge was a member of several copyright-protection groups was very entertaining, but the subsequent reveal that the judge assigned to check the first judge for bias had to be removed for… wait for it… bias, has my howling with laughter on the inside.
- The Surrogates was a decent comic from Top Shelf a while back–I enjoyed it. The trailer for the movie version makes me think the movie could also be quite good. I promise to try to evaluate the movie on its own merits and without reference to the comic, but I expect to fail.
- My still-suprising-me amusement with Cracked.com continues with their 7 WTF Military Weapons You Won’t Believe They Actually Built piece. As an aside, I was somewhat disturbed to find a basis in fact for the Nazi War Wheel.
- I am officially getting Really Fucking Tired of that special mocking irony. You know who you are. Some thing are So Bad They’re Good, and some things are just rubbish.
- I’m not sure who I want to show the Wu Note Project images to. I’ve got friends who know the Wu, and friends who would know what was being referenced, but I’m not sure those Venn diagrams overlap. Still, if you get it, it’s a lovely thing.
- Back in the day when my guardo camino and I decided to grab a flick our personal slang distinguished two basic categories of movies, depending on what state we were in. We either wanted to get a “thinker”–which basically meant any movie that featured quality writing and acting–or we wanted to get “something with explosions and boobs”, which category should be self-explanatory. It appears the internet has made that second category more efficient, removing the need for the movie infrastructure, and just reducing things to the real lowest common denominator. Men are so simple.
- Yet another reason to be proud of Wisconsin: deny your kid necessary medical attention in favour of waiting for divine intervention… GO TO JAIL. ’nuff said.
- Attention all those who think the private sector, and competition automatically results in better service and lower prices: Beer costs more in all-private-all-the-time Alberta than it does in monpoly-government-vendor Ontario. Just saying.